Monday, October 31, 2011

Stories to remember - Chapter 33

NEWS FROM JANINA


It was now nearly the end of the year 1838. Following the advice of Monte Cristo, Danglars had written some weeks ago to his agent in Janina, to find out about Fernand Mondego and what had happened at the time of the downfall of Ali Tebelin.

When the reply came, Danglars read it carefully. The news did not please him. He decided that Fernand's son could not possibly marry his daughter. But what excuse could he give the Count Morcerf? He decided to send the report from Janina to the newspapers.

'When he reads it in the newspaper,' thought Danglars, 'I shall not have to explain everything to him.'

The next morning everybody in Paris read the report in their newspapers. It said :
A correspondent writes from Janina :

A new fact has come to light about the history of Janina, 
which was not known before. In the year 1823, when Janina 
was attacked by the Sultan's troops, the fort was given up 
to the attackers by a French officer whom Prince Ali Tebelin 
had completely trusted. Ali Tebelin was caught and killed. 
He had been betrayed by the same French officer. The name 
of this officer was Fernand Mondego, but he now calls 
himself the Count Morcerf and sits in the Upper House of our 
Parliament. 

At this news there was an uproar in the French Parliament which was meeting that day. When the Count Morcerf came to take his seat in the Upper House, there were demands from all sides for an inquiry. Morcerf was asked when he would be ready to answer questions and be judged.
'The sooner the better,' he replied. 'Let it be this evening.'

At eight o'clock in the evening, the enquiry began. Questions were asked, and Morcerf showed documents to prove that Prince Ali Tebelin had trusted him right up to the time of his death. The prince had asked him to negotiate with the Sultan. There was the ring, with Ali Tebelin's seal, which had been given to Morcerf as an authority to come and go in the palace, or anywhere else, as he pleased.

'Unfortunately,' said Morcerf, 'my negotiations with the Sultan failed and, when I returned to defend Ali Tebelin, he was dead. But the prince trusted me so greatly that, on his death bed, he left a message that I should look after his wife and daughter. Again luck was against me. When I came back to Janina, Ali Tebelin's wife, and his daughter, had disappeared. I wasn't a rich man and I couldn't go in search of them. I don't know what happened to them. I only wish I could have found them so that I could have looked after them.'

'Have you anything else to say?' asked the President of the Upper House.

'Only that I don't know who wrote the false report in the newspapers, but as no witnesses have come here to speak against me, I say that this is proof enough that I am innocent.'

The members of the Upper House murmured their agreement. They were now ready to vote in favour of the Count Morcerf and to declare that the newspaper report must be false. But the President said,

'Gentlemen, I have just received a note from an important witness. Here it is. After what the Count Morcerf has told us, we can be sure that this witness has only come here to help to prove his innocence. Shall we read the letter, or shall we pass it by?'

When he heard this, the Count Morcerf turned pale and clenched his fists. He waited for the answer which the Upper House would give.

There were shouts from the members. 'Read the paper!' 'We must hear what it says!'

So the President read in a loud voice :

Monsieur the President----I was there when Ali Tebelin, Pacha of Janina, died. I know what became of his wife and his daughter. If the Upper House would like to hear me, I shall be outside, in the lobby, when this note is handed to you.
Morcerf sat in his seat and listened to this with his heart beating furiously. Who could this be?

'Would the House like to hear this witness?' the President asked.

'Yes, yes!' they all said.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment